Chronic hearing conditions are just as severe and damaging as hearing loss itself. One of the most common is tinnitus. There are a staggering number of people in Bridgeton, NJ and beyond living with tinnitus, who don’t realize how serious the condition is or what they can do to get relief from it. Scott Wilson Hearing Aids is here to help. We’re able to diagnose area residents with tinnitus at our hearing center and talk with you about ways to reduce its impact on your life and health.
What Is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus affects more than 50 million Americans—nearly one in six people! It’s described as a sensation of sound in your ears when there’s nothing producing that noise. Most people describe it as a ringing; however, it can present as buzzing, whistling, chirping or other persistent sounds and sensations. The sensation can range in severity, from mild to intermittent.
Did You Know?
Tinnitus is common, but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. If you believe you’re suffering from tinnitus, visit our hearing center to learn more. Wondering how common tinnitus actually is? According to the American Tinnitus Association:
- 90% of people with tinnitus experience noise-induced hearing loss.
- 10% of all adults have experienced tinnitus in the past year.
- Nearly 12 million people experience tinnitus so severe they seek medical attention.
What Causes Tinnitus?
The exact physical cause of tinnitus is unknown. What we do know is that certain sources and triggers can make it worse, including:
- Loud noises: Loud noises destroy the cilia in your inner ear and can leave a ‘ringing.’
- Chronic hearing conditions: Disorders like Otosclerosis and Ménière's disease.
- Health conditions: Like cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stress.
- Ototoxic medications: Like antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and antidepressants.
Is There a Cure for Tinnitus?
Unfortunately, there is no known cure for tinnitus; however, there are recommendations for relief. It’s important to consult with a hearing loss specialist to qualify your tinnitus and to explore relief options that bring you peace and preserve your hearing.
Don’t Let Tinnitus Go Untreated
At Scott Wilson Hearing Aids, we understand the severity of tinnitus. We’ve helped people throughout Bridgeton, NJ find relief, and we want to make sure you understand your options if you’re living with tinnitus. Reach out to us today at 856-453-0909 for more information or to schedule a consultation appointment.